In this article:
A lot of people desire healthy, youthful, clean, glowing skin. A multitude of skin and beauty products are available on the market that claims to lighten blemishes and dark spots, leaving your skin healthy and glowing.
However, these commercial products may be overpriced. They may also contain harmful chemicals, even if they are labeled as natural formulas.
Homemade face masks with ingredients from your kitchen are excellent alternatives or additions to commercial products. Homemade masks are not only skin-friendly, but they also can help improve signs of skin damage and rejuvenate your skin.
One such highly useful ingredient is turmeric. It is a spice used widely in Central American and Asian cuisines. Mixing turmeric with yogurt, coconut oil, and honey creates a face mask that is highly beneficial to your skin’s health.
Know Your Ingredients
Here are the ingredients that can be used to make a rejuvenating face mask.
Turmeric, obtained from the rhizome of Curcuma longa, is widely used all over the world as a spice to add color and taste to various dishes. It has also long been exploited in traditional Ayurvedic medicines for the treatment of various ailments.
Studies demonstrate that turmeric can be used for a variety of health conditions, owing to its active compounds, especially curcumin.
Dried stems of turmeric can be used for making extracts and teas. They can also be powdered to create pastes, capsules, and tablets. (1)
Turmeric is known to possess antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also suggested to be antineoplastic, helping prevent the formation of skin tumors. (4)
It is important to remember that while turmeric is generally safe, its topical application can cause allergic contact dermatitis or urticaria in some individuals.
Honey is a natural moisturizing agent that possesses antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties aid in subsiding inflammation and redness associated with acne and other skin problems. (6)
Honey is also shown to reduce acne scars and soften the skin. (7)
While honey is typically harmless for topical application in adults, its safety for medicinal purposes in pregnant and breastfeeding women is not established. These populations should avoid the topical and therapeutic use of honey for safety.
3. Virgin Coconut Oil
Coconut oil acts as an antioxidant and antibacterial agent and is beneficial to your skin.
A study demonstrated that coconut oil can be used as a moisturizer and can also help alleviate skin diseases. (8)
Coconut oil has been used anecdotally for skincare for ages. Nevertheless, there is a need for scientific research to reach any conclusion. The topical application of coconut oil is likely to be safe for your skin.
Yogurt is rich in lactic acid that helps remove dead skin cells and cleanse the skin, thus reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines and giving a youthful appearance.
Disclaimer: Facial skin is extremely thin and delicate and can get easily irritated by any new topical ingredient/product. So, to rule out any adverse skin reactions such as burns and rashes, perform a patch test of the mask first on the underside of your arm. If irritation occurs, avoid its use.
Needless to say, people who are allergic to any of the ingredients in the face mask should not use it. People with sensitive skin are advised to take special precautions before trying out any topical remedy.
DIY Turmeric Face Mask Recipe
This turmeric face mask can help refresh your skin, giving it a rejuvenated feel.
- 1-3 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp yogurt (without whey)
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
How to Make
- In a clean mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, and coconut oil.
- Add the organic turmeric powder.
- Mix the ingredients properly to obtain a smooth consistency.
How to Use
- Wash and cleanse your face properly and pat it dry.
- Apply a layer of the mask to your face with clean hands or a makeup brush.
- Leave the mask on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the mask off with lukewarm water.
- Use the mask once a week.
- Hang some amount of yogurt in a muslin cloth over a bowl for 3-4 hours to separate the yogurt from the whey.
- Opt for Greek yogurt as it has a thicker consistency.
- Use manuka honey for the best results.
Additional Tips for Healthy Glowing Skin
- Clean your hands before touching your face.
- Refrain from squeezing or picking pimples. This habit can cause inflammation and collagen loss, resulting in scars.
- Avoid staying under the sun for long periods. Always use a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher before going out.
- Cover your skin with long-sleeved shirts and hats when under the sun.
- Consume ample amounts of water and follow a healthy diet.
- Use limited amounts of makeup and make sure to remove it before going to bed.
- Wash your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser.
- Get adequate sleep and rest to maintain the glow of your face.