In this article:
Homemade face masks made with common kitchen ingredients that exhibit potent skin-healing properties are a safe and inexpensive way to enhance your beauty. They are easy to make and gentle on the skin.
For ages, people all over the world have used such simple beauty remedies to address various forms of skin damage and to improve the quality or appearance of the skin.
One such highly useful ingredient is turmeric. It is a spice used widely in Central American and Asian cuisines. Mixing turmeric with yogurt, coconut oil, and honey creates a face mask that is highly beneficial to your skin’s health.
DIY Turmeric Face Mask Recipe
This turmeric face mask can help refresh your skin and make it glow.
- 1–3 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp yogurt (without whey)
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
How to make:
- In a clean mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, and coconut oil.
- Add the organic turmeric powder.
- Mix the ingredients properly to obtain a smooth consistency.
How to use:
- Wash and cleanse your face properly and pat it dry.
- Apply a layer of the mask to your face with clean hands or a makeup brush.
- Leave the mask on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the mask off with lukewarm water.
- Use the mask once a week.
- Hang some amount of yogurt in a muslin cloth over a bowl for 3–4 hours to separate the yogurt from the whey.
- Opt for Greek yogurt as it has a thicker consistency.
- Use manuka honey for the best results.
Know Your Ingredients
Here are the ingredients that can be used to make the turmeric face mask.
Turmeric, obtained from the rhizome of Curcuma longa, is widely used all over the world as a spice to add color and taste to various dishes. It has also long been exploited in traditional Ayurvedic medicines for the treatment of various ailments.
Studies demonstrate that turmeric can be used for a variety of health conditions, owing to its active compounds, especially curcumin. Dried stems of turmeric can be used for making extracts and teas. They can also be powdered to create pastes, capsules, and tablets. (1)
Turmeric is known to possess antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also suggested to be antineoplastic, helping prevent the formation of skin tumors. (2)
Both oral and topical use of turmeric can help improve the health of your skin. However, extensive research is still required to determine its safety, efficacy, and usage. (3)(4)(5)
It is important to remember that while turmeric is generally safe, its topical application can cause allergic contact dermatitis or urticaria in some individuals.
Honey is a natural moisturizing agent that possesses antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties aid in reducing the inflammation and redness associated with acne and other skin problems. (6)
Honey is also shown to reduce acne scars and soften the skin. (7) While honey is typically harmless for topical application in adults, its safety for medicinal purposes in pregnant and breastfeeding women is not established. These populations should avoid the topical and therapeutic use of honey for safety.
3. Virgin coconut oil
Coconut oil acts as an antioxidant and antibacterial agent and is beneficial to your skin. A study demonstrated that coconut oil can be used as a moisturizer and can also help alleviate skin diseases. (8)
Coconut oil has been used anecdotally for skin care for ages. However, there is a need for scientific research to reach any conclusion. The topical application of coconut oil is likely to be safe for your skin.
Yogurt is rich in lactic acid, which helps remove dead skin cells and cleanse the skin, thus reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines and giving a youthful appearance.
Disclaimer: Facial skin is extremely thin and delicate and can get easily irritated by any new topical ingredient/product. So, to rule out any adverse skin reactions such as burns and rashes, perform a patch test of the mask first on the underside of your arm. If irritation occurs, avoid its use.
Needless to say, people who are allergic to any of the ingredients in the face mask should not use it. People with sensitive skin are advised to take special precautions before trying out any topical remedy.
Additional Tips for Healthy Glowing Skin
- Clean your hands before touching your face.
- Refrain from squeezing or picking pimples. This habit can cause inflammation and collagen loss, resulting in scars.
- Avoid staying under the sun for long periods. Always use a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher before going out.
- Cover your skin with long-sleeved shirts and hats when under the sun.
- Consume ample amounts of water and follow a healthy diet.
- Use limited amounts of makeup and make sure to remove it before going to bed.
- Wash your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser.
- Get adequate sleep and rest to maintain the glow of your face.
Everyone desires healthy, youthful, clean, glowing skin, and there are countless beauty products in the market that claim to fulfill these demands.
However, most of the beauty products that are worth anything usually cost a lot and are sometimes infused with harmful chemicals that deliver quick results but damage the skin in the long run. By contrast, the homemade face mask discussed in this article is 100% natural and costs next to nothing.
The star ingredient used in this remedy is turmeric, which is recognized as a potent skin healer that helps slow down signs of aging, lightens scars and discoloration, and fights infection and free radical damage, among other beneficial effects.
The yogurt, honey, and coconut oil only add to the beauty benefits of this mask by offering their respective therapeutic properties without irritating or damaging the skin.
But for any beauty remedy to work, you must use it regularly. Also, make sure to patch test it before applying it on your face to rule out any allergic skin reactions.