In this article:
Cellulite is a common phenomenon in people of all shapes and sizes. It occurs when excess fat deposits under the connective tissue become visible under the skin surface.
While cellulite occurs in both sexes, it is significantly more common in women due to some minor structural differences between the skin of men and women. Men’s skin tends to be tighter with more fibrous bands in the connective tissue.
Cellulite is a multifactorial condition that is present in 80%–90% of postpubertal women (1) around the world, yet many people do not like the appearance of it and feel insecure.
The first thing you need to realize is cellulite is a natural and harmless thing. It is nothing to feel self-conscious about and happens to everyone.
Second, there are ways to reduce cellulite on your body if it is interfering with your health or confidence. (2)
Exercises to Reduce Cellulite
Muscle building exercises can help you build tighter muscles under the skin surface that can occupy the empty spaces where cellulite or fat deposits tend to fill. In addition, these heavy workouts help get rid of fat deposits by burning fats. (3)
Here are a few butt and thigh exercises you can try to reduce cellulite in these areas.
- Always rest for 20–30 seconds between exercises. Do not perform a single squat for more than 40 seconds.
- Repeat the entire exercise routine twice in a 20-minute time frame.
1. Plié squats
Plié squats are one of the most effective exercises for your lower half. They help build firm and strong butt muscles and glutes. They also reduce cellulite in these areas.
How to perform plié squats:
- Stand with your feet apart and toes facing out. Bend your knees while keeping your back straight, and perform a squat going as low as you can.
- Squeeze your glutes to help stand up again.
Reps: 8–12, Sets: 2
2. Pistol squats
Pistol squats can help make your glute muscles and core strong. It also helps reduce cellulite in the thigh area.
How to perform pistol squats:
- Stand with your feet wide apart and extend one leg in front of your body at a straight angle.
- Keep your hands at the front of the body. Perform a squat using your hamstring and glute muscles.
Reps: 8–12, Sets: 2
Lunges are a great way to reduce cellulite in any part of the body. It involves the use of all body muscles and is a great exercise for building core strength.
How to perform lunges:
- Stand straight and place your right foot a couple of feet in front of the left one.
- Keep your shoulders down and back straight.
- Bend down slowly until your back knee is just a few inches off the ground. Stand straight up before repeating.
- Complete 3 sets of 10 reps with both legs.
4. Side-squats with a DynaBand
Squats can be performed with the help of exercise equipment such as the DynaBand for more benefit.
How to perform side squats with a DynaBand:
- Place both feet on the DynaBand. Stand straight and place your hands on the DynaBand handles at hip level.
- Take a big step back and sit directly into a squat. Stand back up by placing your left foot above the right one.
- Take a step on your left foot and sit into a squat. Next, stand up and bring your right foot to your left. Repeat.
- Complete 3 sets of 10 reps with both legs.
5. Glute bridges
Glute bridges are simple and effective exercises to help build glute muscles and burn fat. (4)
How to perform a glute bridge:
- Lie on your back and bend your knees till your feet are flat on the floor.
- Rest your hands at the sides, and lightly raise your hips off the ground, forming a straight line from your back to the knees.
- Try to hold this position for at least 3 seconds.
- Lower yourself down slowly.
6. Stair climb
Taking the stairs is probably the easiest and most cost-effective way to burn fat. Climbing stairs helps tone your muscles and cut through cellulite. Try to climb stairs as much as you can and avoid the elevators in malls, offices, etc.
Is It Possible to Get Rid of Cellulite?
Drinking enough fluids and keeping yourself hydrated also play major roles in the reduction of cellulite.
What Foods Cause Cellulite?
Some foods tend to increase the appearance of cellulite by encouraging either fat or water retention. It may be helpful to cut down on the following:
- Salt-laden foods: Processed foods are usually filled with salt, which can cause water retention in the body.
- Alcohol and soft and fizzy drinks: High in sugars as well as other harmful preservatives, most packaged beverages can contribute to cellulite by increasing fat deposits in the body.
- Foods high in refined sugar (biscuits, cakes, etc.) – These foods contribute to fat storage.
Consuming foods rich in vitamin C and protein can help boost collagen production, which tightens the skin and reduces cellulite. (6)
Most-Asked Questions About Cellulite
Is there any difference between cellulite and cellulitis?
Cellulite and cellulitis are completely different. Cellulite, on one hand, is mostly a cosmetic concern wherein excess fat accumulates under the skin.
Cellulitis, on the other hand, is a bacterial skin infection that requires timely antibiotic treatment. If left untreated, this infection can become quite serious.
What are the treatments for cellulite?
Various interventions are available today that aim to reduce cellulite, but none of them provide long-term results. Topical agents, injectables, and laser treatments can help fade the appearance of cellulite to a significant degree through extensive tissue remodeling, but they don’t destroy the excess fat deposits.
The most successful strategy to treat cellulite generally involves a combination of internal and external approaches to tackle different aspects of the problem and provide synergistic results.
For instance, getting CaHa injections followed by radiofrequency (RF) treatment for 5 weeks can improve severe cellulite, but the results begin to show around 3 months after the final treatment.
Moreover, you need to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle to keep cellulite off. Consume nutritious foods and keep a check on your calories to avoid excess fat. Plus, you must take out some time to exercise regularly and burn the extra calories. Keeping stress and anxiety under control is also helpful in reducing cellulite. (1)
Cellulite is a common occurrence among women and should not be considered unnatural or unacceptable. If your cellulite is affecting your self-esteem, you can reduce it by following the above-given exercises and dietary tips.
However, keep in mind that most people will still have cellulite (at least some) on their bodies, so don’t be too hard on your own body.