In this article:
The COVID-19 outbreak has completely overhauled the way people go about their daily lives, which includes their professional life as well.
Most people are currently working from home, which might seem like a concession to some, but can actually be quite an ordeal.
Maintaining the highest level of productivity without your team and office equipment is hard enough, but you have to work extra hard to retain your focus in the presence of various familial or household distractions.
Maintain a Healthy Mind While Working From Home
To create a healthy mind in the home office would be to create an environment that is conducive to being productive without distractions. Here are some tips:
- Have an organized and clean desk to create a sense of control and calmness.
- Make sure your chair is comfortable and able to support your body during long hours in your office. (1) When feeling uncomfortable, a person may become distracted and restless.
- An office that is well lit or has windows that let sunlight in can be mood-boosting.
- Keep pictures of your loved ones in the home office to inspire and remind you that your hard work is for your family.
Common Distractions at the Home Office
People often struggle to concentrate on work at the home office due to the following reasons:
1. Disorganization and clutter
Not knowing where your items are can slow productivity and steal time from your work.
2. Not setting boundaries with your family members
If your family members can come into your office anytime and repeatedly interrupt your work, you may lose your concentration and workflow.
3. TV or radio
You will be more focused on the show on TV or the words to a song than the task at hand. If these can make you lose focus, then it is best not to have them in or near your working space.
Foods That Help Relax Your Mind at Work
Foods that will make you feel tired and sluggish are not the best when at work. Low-calorie meals can be beneficial, especially if you do not exercise regularly and are sitting at the desk for most of the day.
- Oatmeal is a great choice for breakfast to start your day. (2) You can be as creative as you want with it, in terms of adding different toppings such as raisins, strawberries, and blueberries and flavoring it with honey, cinnamon, or brown sugar. Oatmeal is a very healthy food option that can energize you while making you feel full quickly and for longer.
- Salads are a great lunch option. This is another meal where you can be as creative as well. Having variety in your salad allows you to not be bored with your meal. You can add seafood, chicken, or meat as protein or fruit for a sweet-tasting salad, and then you can top it with a dressing of your choice.
Organizing the Work Routine to Improve Overall Efficiency
Here are two tools to incorporate in your work routine:
1. Task list
The night before you go to work, create a task list of things you want to accomplish for the upcoming day.
Having a calendar with all major meetings, appointments, and deadlines will be a nice visual reminder of tasks. This can help you prioritize what is urgent and important.
2. Work schedule
Creating a daily schedule would help with efficiency. (3) Setting times of the day to check emails can help foster routine.
Some workers can be distracted and thrown off their tasks by repeatedly checking emails. By checking emails at certain times of the day, you can be focused on replying to messages.
Additional Stressors While Working From Home
A lack of proper equipment, software, and supplies in your home office to perform your daily work activities can negatively affect your mental health.
For instance, not having functional items such as a scanner or printer to get your tasks completed can make you anxious, stressed, and irritable. Thus, making sure to have supplies and resources available can aid in having good mental health.
Another factor is being satisfied with your job. Being unhappy with work and unfulfilled can produce symptoms related to anxiety and depression in some people. (4)
Exercises to Relieve Mental Stress
Cardio exercises are a great way to relax your mind. (5) Walking or running around your neighborhood can help boost your energy, build your stamina, and get you some fresh air.
Exercising not only helps reduce stress and anxiety, but it is also a great preventive resource in combating the effects of potential disorders such as hypertension and diabetes. (6)
Self-Care Tips to Improve Productivity While Working From Home
Self-care measures for working from home vary from person to person, but these may work for a lot of people:
- Make sure to preserve your mind and body wellness.
- Pick the right office space in your home that is suitable for the kind of work you do.
- Create boundaries with your family members during office hours.
- Know when to say yes and no to new tasks.
- Focus on developing new skills that can stimulate your intellectual wellness.
- Exercise at least three times per week to improve your physical wellness.
- Maintain communication with your coworkers to help reduce potential isolation while improving your social and occupational wellness.
- Understand your larger purpose in life and at work to keep the pressure from getting to you.
What Home Remedies Can Improve Focus While Working From Home?
The only home remedy to help you focus better at the home office is to minimize distractions.
Manage Your Home Workspace for Smoother Functioning
Make sure that your office is set up to perform your duties that you would normally do at the work office.
If issues develop with the workspace and system, contacting your supervisors, IT department or HR is the best move for you to make to resolve problems.
It is good to take inventory of what is needed and not needed when it comes to office supplies. Creating a workflow system in your home office will allow you to be in control of the office environment from home.
Your personal and professional lives can easily overlap when working from home, but your task is to keep them separate through proper discipline and management. It can be difficult and frustrating at first, but the right mindset and a few enterprising tips will get you there.
- Was this article helpful?
- YES, THANKS!NOT REALLY