In this article:
Red bananas, or Red Dacca, as the name suggests, varies from yellow bananas due to their vibrant red skin. Some people say they have a different taste too with its faint raspberry flavor.
Red bananas vary from yellow bananas in nutrient content as well.
Nutritional Composition of Red Bananas
Red bananas have a wide polyphenol profile that includes tannins, alkaloids, flavonoids, and saponins. These compounds have been identified to have a protective effect against inflammation, have antimicrobial and antiviral properties, and can act as strong anti-allergic agents. (1)
Are Red Bananas Good for the Skin?
Due to their rich polyphenolic profile, red bananas are good for the skin in the following ways.
1. Promote collagen production
Red bananas get their distinct red color from a pigment called carotenoid. (3)
The vitamin C in red bananas can benefit the skin by promoting collagen production, making the skin plump and young looking, protecting against UV damage, lightening pigmented skin (due to acne or wounds), and reducing fine lines and wrinkles. (4)(5)
2. Reduce skin damage
The vitamin C and carotenoids in red bananas are considered very strong natural antioxidants. They have the ability to remove damaging substances that harm the cells. This function is essential to maintaining healthy and young-looking skin.
How to Use Red Bananas for Skin Care
Eating a single red banana each day can be beneficial, although this variety is not widely available. However, since most of the pigment of red bananas is in their peel, consuming them will not be enough.
To use red bananas for skin health, follow these steps:
- Wash the peel properly and scrape the insides.
- Lay the peel flat in a baking dish and dry it in the oven at a low temperature until all the water has dried off.
- Powder the dried peel and use it in face masks along with rose water or yogurt.
- Red bananas are rich in vitamin C and carotenoids. Carotenoids are pigments that give the peel its red color.
- Vitamin C and carotenoids can improve collagen production in the skin, giving it a healthy and plump appearance. They also act as antioxidants that prevent damage due to UV rays and free radicals, thus preventing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Since most of the carotenoids are in the peel, you can dry and powder the peel and use it in face masks to reap its benefits.