In this article:
The skin is the biggest organ in the human body, and it is also the most visible. Hence, for many people, conserving healthy and radiant skin is a priority.
When it comes to skin care, many people ignore natural remedies in favor of commercial products. However, using natural ingredients can be just as useful and, in fact, much better for the skin.
Two such natural ingredients that have been earning popularity for their skin benefits are bananas and cornstarch.
Cornstarch, on the other hand, is known for its oil-absorbing properties, making it particularly beneficial for oily skin types.
This article will explore the benefits of using bananas and cornstarch on the skin, how they work, and what the experts have to say about them.
Benefits of Using Bananas and Cornstarch on the Skin
Bananas and cornstarch have been utilized for years for their skin benefits.
Banana is a fruit that is safe to eat and is part of the Musaceae family and is grown in tropical and subtropical areas. Bananas are rich in vitamins, potassium, and magnesium, all of which are essential for healthy skin. (1)(2)
Cornstarch, on the other hand, is a gentle, natural exfoliant that can aid in the removal of dead cells and free up pores. (3)
The combination of bananas and cornstarch can deliver benefits for all kinds of skin issues. Together, these two ingredients can help to moisturize, exfoliate, and rejuvenate the skin, making it look and feel healthier.
Whether you have dry, oily, or combination skin, integrating these natural ingredients into your skin care regimen can assist in improving the overall health and build of your skin.
How Do Bananas and Cornstarch Work?
When bananas are applied topically to the skin, they can help to moisturize and nourish it. The vitamins and minerals in bananas provide the skin with essential nutrients that can improve its overall health. (2)
Cornstarch, on the other hand, is a fantastic ingredient for those with oily skin. It acts as a sebum absorbent, which means it can help reduce that unwanted greasiness and control excessive oiliness. (3)
This property of cornstarch also makes it great for fighting acne problems, which are very common in those with oily skin. (3)(4) The best part is it’s not a problem for those with normal or dry skin either, so anyone can benefit from its powers. (3)
When used in combination with bananas, cornstarch can gently exfoliate the skin while also providing it with essential nutrients.
How to Use Bananas and Cornstarch Together on the Skin
To make a natural face mask, mix cornstarch and mashed banana until it forms a paste. Apply the paste to your face and leave it on for 10–15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
This face mask can help absorb excess oil and reduce skin irritation.
Benefits of Bananas for the Skin
According to dermatologists, bananas are rich in antioxidants, including vitamins C and B, which can help protect the skin. Also, bananas can assist in hydrating and moisturizing the skin, making them incredible for people with dry skin types. (2)
Here are some potential benefits of using bananas on the skin.
1. Hydrates the skin
How to use:
- Crush up a ripe banana and apply it to your face.
- Leave it on for half an hour.
- Rinse it off with water.
This simple banana will make your skin look pink and glowing.
2. Fights signs of aging
Bananas contain flavonoids, which are good for your health. They work like little protectors in your body, fighting off harmful compounds called free radicals that can make your skin age faster and cause diseases. (2)
How to use:
- Rub the inside of a fresh banana peel on your face for 15 minutes each day.
- Mash up half a banana and mix in a teaspoon of rose water to make a face mask. Apply the mask to your face, leave it on for about 30 minutes, and then wash it off with water.
3. Treats pimples
Did you know that bananas can help get rid of acne and pimples?
How to use:
- Take a small piece of the banana peel.
- Gently rub it on the pimple. Keep rubbing until the peel turns brown.
- Rinse the area with water.
- Do this thrice in 24 hours.
4. Reduces eye puffiness
If you have puffy eyes, bananas can help. Bananas contain potassium, which can make the puffiness go away. (2)
How to use:
- Mash up half a banana and put it on your eyes for 15 minutes.
- Put banana peels on your eyes.
These are straightforward and natural methods to make your eyes look and feel better!
5. Manages cracked heels
If you struggle with cracked heels, you might want to try using bananas as a natural treatment. Bananas are known for their moisturizing activity, which can aid in relieving and reducing dry, cracked skin on your feet. (2)
How to use:
- Mash up two bananas into a pulp and apply it to your feet.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with water.
With regular use, you’ll notice your feet become softer and smoother over time.
Benefits of Cornstarch for the Skin
Cornstarch is a fine, white powdery substance that is frequently utilized in cooking and baking. It also has various advantages for the skin.
Here are some possible advantages of using cornstarch on the skin.
1. Absorbs excess oil and soothes skin
Cornstarch has oil-absorbing properties that make it an effective ingredient for people with oily skin types. It can also alleviate skin irritation and soothe dry, itchy skin. (3)
How to use:
- Cleanse your face with a mild cleaner and dry it with a soft, clean cloth.
- Take a small amount of cornstarch (about a teaspoon) and sprinkle it onto your palm.
- Using your fingertips, apply the cornstarch to your face in a thin layer. Concentrate on the regions where your skin tends to get oily.
- Let the cornstarch sit on your skin for about 15 minutes.
- Carefully wash the cornstarch away with lukewarm water.
- Pat your face with a towel to remove any water and apply your everyday moisturizer.
2. Protects against frictional injuries such as skin rash
When your skin layers start to separate due to rubbing or friction, frictional injuries can occur. A study found that using cornstarch can help to minimize friction injuries on the skin.
This means that cornstarch powders can provide protection against damage caused by rubbing or friction, without promoting the growth of yeasts. (6)
How to use:
- Wash the area of the skin where you want to apply cornstarch and make sure to dry it completely.
- Take a small amount of cornstarch powder and spread it onto your palm.
- Using your fingertips, apply the cornstarch powder to the area of the skin where you want protection against frictional injuries. Concentrate on regions that are inclined to rubbing or chafing.
- Rub the cornstarch powder gently into your skin until it’s fully absorbed.
- If you’re wearing clothing or shoes that might cause friction, make sure to apply the cornstarch powder in those areas as well.
- Reapply the cornstarch powder as needed throughout the day to maintain protection against frictional injuries.
Precautions When Using Cornstarch and Bananas
Here are some things to remember when using bananas and cornstarch on the skin.
1. Keep cornstarch away from wounds
Researchers found that when cornstarch was applied to contaminated wounds, it increased the growth of bacteria and caused excessive inflammatory responses, which were measured by wound induration.
Thus, it’s important to keep cornstarch away from wounds to prevent negative effects on tissue defenses and promote proper healing. (7)
2. Keep an eye out for allergic reactions to bananas
Using bananas on the skin may cause allergic reactions in people with latex allergy, as bananas and latex share similar allergens. A study found that 50% of latex-allergic patients reported symptoms after eating bananas.
Thus, it is advised to be cautious when utilizing bananas on the skin in such cases. (8)
Can bananas and cornstarch be used on all skin types?
Bananas and cornstarch can be used on all skin types, but it is essential to consider your skin type and the amount of each ingredient used. People with oily skin may benefit more from cornstarch, while people with dry skin may benefit more from bananas.
Can a banana and cornstarch face mask cause an allergic reaction?
It is probable to have an allergic response to any skin care product, including bananas and cornstarch. Before using any natural ingredient on your skin, it is best to do a patch test first.
How often can a banana and cornstarch face mask be used?
A banana and cornstarch face mask can be employed 1–2 times a week based on your skin type and needs.
Natural ingredients such as bananas and cornstarch can provide many benefits for the skin. They are affordable, readily available, and free of dangerous components you can find in some skin care products.
However, it is essential to use them in moderation and consult a dermatologist if you have skin concerns. Incorporating natural ingredients into your skin care routine can be a great way to nourish and care for your skin while embracing a more sustainable approach to beauty.