In this article:
Cholesterol is a crucial naturally occurring substance found in all animal cells that has an important role in your hair health. (1)
Cholesterol hair treatment is a deep-conditioning treatment that involves the use of ingredients that are rich in fat on the hair and focuses on harnessing the benefits of cholesterol for your hair.
While cholesterol gets a bad name for causing metabolic or heart issues, it has been suggested to play a part in the growth of hair and maintaining its overall condition.
Your hair grows from tiny structures called hair follicles. Cholesterol is thought to contribute to the functioning of these follicles. (2)
Moreover, research suggests that imbalances in cholesterol levels may contribute to certain hair disorders. Cholesterol hair treatments can be something you can try to support your hair health.
Benefits of Cholesterol Hair Treatment
1. Repairs damaged hair
Hair treatments involving heat and chemicals can take a toll on your precious locks, leaving them damaged. Research indicates that excessive heat and various hair treatments can negatively affect the structure of hair cells and weaken the hair fibers, (3)(4) making them more susceptible to damage.
According to scientists, cholesterol is important for retaining the integrity of the hair. Low cholesterol levels are associated with increased hair damage and weakening of the tensile strength of the hair. (5)
2. Hydrates dry hair
They work by adding moisture to the hair and protecting your tresses by making a nice coating around them. By doing so, they improve the overall texture and softness of the hair.
3. Prevents hair loss
A study showed that low cholesterol levels in the body put women at 3.47 times higher risk of hair loss. In fact, an increase in cholesterol levels leads to around 0.65 times lower risk of hair loss. (8)
This highlights the possibility of the use of cholesterol hair treatment in overcoming hair loss.
4. Resolves dandruff problems
Dandruff is a big problem that many people face. It is characterized by dry scalp and flaking and scaling of the scalp.
Researchers have revealed that dandruff is linked with low levels of cholesterol in the scalp. (9)
Therefore, a cholesterol hair treatment can help resolve dandruff issues.
Side Effects of Cholesterol Hair Treatment
Some potential side effects of cholesterol hair treatment include:
- Cholesterol treatments can sometimes make the hair feel greasy or weighed down, especially if too much product is used.
- Overuse or improper washing of cholesterol treatments may lead to product buildup on the hair.
- In some cases, people may experience allergic responses to the components in cholesterol treatments.
DIY Recipes for Cholesterol Hair Treatment
Egg-Yogurt Hair Treatment
- Crack 1 egg in a pot and whisk it.
- Add 2 tbsp of yogurt and 1 tbsp olive oil to the eggs and blend generously.
- Apply the mixture to damp hair.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp.
- Wrap your hair with a plastic cap for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with water and shampoo as you normally do.
- Style your hair in whatever manner you want.
Avocado-Honey Hair Treatment
- Mash an avocado in a bowl to make a paste.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey and 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to the mashed avocado.
- Apply the mixture to slightly wet hair.
- Wrap your hair with a shower cap for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Wash your hair entirely with water.
- Style your hair as you wish.
Can cholesterol hair treatment help with dry hair?
Yes, cholesterol hair treatment is known for its hydrating properties.
Will cholesterol hair treatment make my hair greasy?
When used properly, cholesterol hair treatment should not make your hair greasy.
How frequently should I do a cholesterol treatment?
Once every 1-2 weeks is the general recommendation.
Is cholesterol hair treatment appropriate for all hair types?
Cholesterol hair treatment can be used on all hair types.
Cholesterol hair treatments, when done properly, can help you achieve your hair goals.