In this article:
Your hair is a major player in how you look and feel, but it can get messed up by several factors such as stress, pollution, bad food, and harsh hair products.
Luckily, Mother Nature has tons of herbs and flowers that can give your hair the love it needs to bounce back. One of these miracle workers is calendula (Calendula officinalis), aka marigold, which is known for its many beneficial properties. (1)
This article is all about why calendula is great for hair care and how using calendula oil can help you grow some luscious locks.
Benefits of Calendula Flower for Hair
For centuries, people have been using calendula for its healing powers. Calendula officinalis, aka pot marigold, native to Mediterranean countries, has been used in traditional folk medicine.
Calendula is a pretty big deal when it comes to medicinal plants, thanks to all the different natural chemicals the flowers contain.
These chemicals, such as triterpenoids, flavonoids, and carotenoids, have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial powers. All of these amazing properties make calendula a super helpful ingredient for taking care of your hair. (1)(2)
Take a look at what benefits calendula flowers have for your hair.
1. Provide a strong antioxidant activity
Did you know that calendula flowers contain some really powerful compounds called polyphenols? These include ferulic acid, caffeic acid, and chlorogenic acid, which are all super rich in antioxidants. (2)
These antioxidants are seriously amazing for your hair health. According to research, they can even improve the scalp’s overall health and reduce hair shedding. This means your hair will look and feel fuller than ever before. (3)
2. Provide photoprotection (protection from the sun)
Did you know that sunlight can damage your hair?
According to researchers, exposure to the sun’s rays can harm the cells in your hair from the outer layer (called the cuticle) to the inside part (called the cortex). This damage can lead to some changes in your hair, such as discoloration and loss of strength. (4)
But don’t worry, there’s a solution! It’s called photoprotection, and it basically means protecting your hair from the sun’s harmful rays.
3. May help to soothe scalp irritation/inflammation
Scalp inflammation is a well-known problem that a lot of people deal with, and it can be a real pain. Luckily, there’s something that might be able to help: calendula flowers.
Calendula has a long history of being employed as a natural treatment for skin difficulties such as inflamed skin. It’s been used in clinics all over the world, and it’s proven to be effective in many cases.
4. Exhibit antifungal activity
Do you know that annoying condition called “dandruff”? Well, it turns out it’s caused by a bunch of different things, including a yeast called Malassezia furfur, which naturally lives on the skin. But the great news is a few antifungal agents can help improve the situation. (7)
One potential option that you might not have heard of is Calendula officinalis. This plant has some antifungal properties that could be good for your hair.
Ways to Use Calendula Flowers on the Hair
Here are some ways to use calendula for hair growth.
1. Calendula flower hair spray
Here’s how you can use calendula flowers on your hair at home:
- Grab a few (around 5) fresh calendula flowers and give them a good rinse under running water.
- Carefully extract the petals from the flowers, and give the petals another wash to ensure there aren’t any pests or mud on them.
- Take a large pot and load it with a glass and a half of water.
- Turn on the heat. Once the water begins to boil, put in all of the petals and close the pot.
- Let it simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- When it’s reduced to about half, turn off the stove and let it cool down.
- Once it’s cooled, carefully pour the liquid into a spray bottle.
- This spray can be used for around 14 days.
- Spray the solution on a clean scalp and gently massage for about 5–10 minutes.
- Leave it on for 30–40 minutes, and then wash it off with water, and shampoo. After that, follow your normal hair care routine.
So, there you have it – a straightforward and natural way to prepare a calendula flower spray. If you want, you may also add a few drops of your choice of essential oil.
2. Calendula oil for hair growth
Calendula oil has a bunch of good stuff in it that can support hair growth. Scientists have studied calendula plants a bunch and found that they contain triterpenic saponins, flavonoids, carotenoids, sesquiterpenoids, and polyphenols.
These are all chemicals and natural compounds that can be helpful in protecting your skin (such as the scalp) from the sun and various medical concerns. (2)
Since calendula oil has a rich biochemical profile, it has become really popular in the cosmetics industry as an ingredient in products that aim at promoting hair growth and making the hair look young and fresh.
How to use:
To use calendula oil for your hair, first, ensure that the hair is either dry or damp. Then, follow these steps:
- Take a small amount of the oil and heat it up by rubbing your palm together.
- Apply the oil to your scalp using your fingertips and carefully massage it in for 5–10 minutes.
- Work the oil through the rest of your hair, and pay additional attention to the length of the strands.
- Leave the oil in your hair for a minimum of 30 minutes or a whole night for best results.
- Rinse the oil off with warm water and a gentle shampoo. You may need to shampoo more than once to make sure all the oil is washed off.
- Use your regular conditioner or a leave-in conditioner to further nourish your hair.
Caution: Just like with any other herb or plant, calendula may cause allergic reactions in some individuals. It’s a good idea to patch-test any new product containing calendula, and this is particularly important if you have sensitive or easily irritated skin.
Most-Asked Questions About Calendula for Hair
Is calendula safe for all types of hair?
Yes, calendula is safe for all hair types. However, those with sensitive skin should conduct a patch test before using it on their scalp.
How frequently should I use calendula oil on my hair?
You can use calendula oil 2–3 times a week. However, it is good to begin with weekly oiling and to slowly increase the frequency if your scalp tolerates it.
How long does it take to notice the effects of calendula oil?
Individual results vary. Some people may see results in a few weeks, whereas others may take more time.
Calendula is a great flower that can do wonders for your hair. Whether you put on some calendula oil or hair spray, it can help make your hair grow strong and healthy, keep dandruff at bay, soothe an itchy scalp, and give your hair a nice texture.
However, like any natural remedy, calendula must be used correctly and in the right amount. If you have any doubts or questions about using calendula on your hair, talk to a hair care pro or healthcare provider.