In this article:
Honey wheat bread is a type of bread that as the name suggests is made using honey as the sweetener and whole wheat. Other ingredients remain the same as regular bread: yeast, water, and oil.
Because honey wheat bread is made from whole wheat flour, it contributes more nutrients and fiber to the diet than regular bread made from white flour.
Therefore, honey wheat bread can actually be very healthy for you, unless you have gluten allergy.
How Can Honey Wheat Bread Be Good for Health
Largely, the use of whole wheat flour is what contributes to the health benefits of this bread. These are evidence-backed reasons why you should consume honey wheat bread.
1. Can aid with fat loss
You may have heard of people recommending giving up bread or wheat products to lose weight. There is no merit to this technique unless you have gluten allergies, consume an excessive amount of bread, or eat bread made from refined flour.
2. Balances blood sugar levels
Refined flour has a high glycemic index and is a major risk factor for raising blood sugar levels and is not the healthiest choice for people with type 2 diabetes. (2)
Honey wheat bread can help with this despite the inclusion of honey as it doesn’t spike blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. It also reduced bad cholesterol in the body in participants of a study. (3)
3. Improves gut health
There is some evidence that fiber from whole grains like in whole wheat bread can actually improve gut health and increase the diversity of healthy gut bacteria. (4)
A good gut bacteria composition does not only aid with bowel improvement but also influences other outcomes of health like immunity.
4. May offer cancer prevention
Whole wheat and consuming products made from it can also offer protection against some forms of cancer: colorectal, pancreatic, and gastric. Experts suggest 2–3 servings of daily consumption of whole grain to be helpful. (5)
Precautions to Consider While Consuming Honey Wheat Bread
Commercially produced honey wheat bread does have certain health risks you may want to consider.
1. Can elevate blood pressure
Bread products made in the US generally have a higher sodium content than its UK counterpart. This can contribute to overall dietary sodium intake raising the risk of blood pressure. (6)
2. Can cause stomach distress
Whole wheat is a source of gluten which can be a trigger for stomach issues like diarrhea, cramps, or vomiting in people with a gluten allergy. (7)
People with a gluten allergy or sensitivity should not consume honey wheat bread.
Can I Make Honey Wheat Bread at Home?
If you are used to making bread, honey wheat bread can be a great alternative to try. There are several recipes available online and you can choose one that fits you.
- Honey wheat bread is made by using whole wheat flour and honey along with other regular ingredients like yeast, salt, and water.
- Due to the whole fiber content coming in from honey wheat bread, it can help with weight loss, reduce the spikes of blood sugar after eating it, improves gut health, and can also reduce the risk of certain types of cancers.
- You need to check for the sodium content in commercially produced honey wheat bread as it can raise blood sugar.
- People with gluten allergy or sensitivity should avoid honey wheat bread altogether.