Oatmeal is a common ingredient in the kitchen across different countries. They are known for their nutritious composition, which includes a high content of fiber, carbohydrates, protein, minerals, and vitamins.
For these reasons, oats are popular for many health benefits such as lowering blood sugar, reducing the risk of heart diseases, and weight loss. Oats are also popular in the beauty industry due to the wide range of skin benefits they offer.
Oatmeal is, in fact, proven to help improve skin itchiness, drying, scaling, and roughness, (1) owing to its humectant and hydrating properties. It also contains antioxidant polyphenols such as avenanthramides, which help prevent free radical damage and inflammation. (2)
The exfoliating texture of oats, along with their saponin content, makes them a natural cleanser to remove oil, dirt, and dead skin cells from the skin. Oats also contain various amino acids that improve skin hydration and resilience.
Moreover, oats absorb excessive oil from the skin and act as an anti-inflammatory agent, contributing to the treatment and prevention of acne breakouts. Oats are also a great source of nutrients such as copper, B vitamins, thiamine, zinc, selenium, and omega-3 fatty acids, all of which improve skin health.
Oatmeal Masks for Skin Issues
Oatmeal is a boon when it comes to skin issues, as it may solve various skin problems and clear your skin. You may include the following oatmeal face masks in your skin care regimen to improve some skin issues.
Note: While oatmeal is generally safe for use, it is best to conduct a patch test before applying any oatmeal remedy to check for any allergy or sensitivity.
1. Oatmeal face mask to control acne
Excessive sebum production or oily skin is one of the most common causes of acne. Oatmeal can help absorb this excess oil on the skin, thus lowering the chances of acne.
Moreover, oatmeal has exfoliating properties that remove dead skin cells and dirt from the skin surface, therefore preventing clogging of pores. It also helps regulate skin pH and acts as an antibacterial agent against acne-causing bacteria. (3)
In addition, oatmeal has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help treat acne. (4) Apples, when used with oatmeal, contribute to its antioxidant effects that combat free radicals in the body, thus lowering tissue and cell damage. Apples also contain alpha-hydroxy acids that act as mild exfoliants.
Eggs, which help remove excess oil, are also used in this face mask. The egg yolk hydrates the skin. Cinnamon is added to the face mask for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
How to use:
- Blend half of a green apple and 2 tbsp of plain Greek yogurt until smooth.
- Add 2 tbsp of oatmeal to the mixture and blend again for a grainy paste.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and mix in ½ tsp of cinnamon.
- Apply the paste to your face, leaving out the eye area.
- Wash your face with warm water after 15 minutes.
- Pat your skin dry and moisturize.
- Combine 4–5 pieces of soaked almonds, 1 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of curd, and 1 tbsp of oats. Use this face mask to remove the excessive oil from your skin.
- Mix 2 tbsp of honey with 2 tbsp of oatmeal. Add 4–5 drops of lemon juice and tomato paste to the mixture. Apply this face mask to your face. It is best to consult your dermatologist before using this mask.
2. Oatmeal face mask to ease eczema symptoms
Oatmeal contains anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that improve eczema symptoms such as redness, itching, inflammation, pain, and skin dryness.
One study showed that the use of 1% colloidal oatmeal improved mild to moderate atopic dermatitis in patients. (5)
The superfood spirulina is added to the oatmeal mask to help soothe irritated and inflamed skin. Its antibacterial property, along with that of honey, prevents infections. Yogurt is also used in this face mask to exfoliate the skin.
How to use:
- Add ½ cup of hot water to 1/3 cup of oatmeal and allow it to soak for 5 minutes.
- Mix in 1 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of plain yogurt, and ½ tbsp of spirulina powder to the oatmeal.
- Apply the paste to your skin and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wipe off the mask using a damp cloth and rinse your face.
- Pat your skin dry and apply a moisturizer.
- Oatmeal baths are another popular and effective remedy used in the treatment of hives, psoriasis, rashes, and eczema. Simply grind 90 g of oatmeal to a fine powder and mix in 10 g of coconut oil and 5 drops of lavender oil. Add a handful of this mixture to your bath water and soak in it. This remedy improves dryness, redness, skin patches, inflammation, and itching and rebalances skin pH.
- Combine ½ cup of cooked and ground oatmeal and 1 tbsp of rose water. Use this face mask on your face to soothe your skin.
ALSO READ: DIY Oatmeal Mask for Eczema and How to Use It
3. Oatmeal face mask to get rid of suntan
Oatmeal is rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phenols that can absorb UV rays and minimize sun damage on the skin. (6) Using oatmeal can help de-tan your skin.
In addition to oatmeal, honey is an excellent antioxidant that helps manage sun damage. It has humectant properties that bind moisture to the skin.
You can also add yogurt to this oatmeal face mask for its exfoliating, hydrating, and soothing properties. Strawberries are also used in this face mask for their exfoliating alpha-hydroxy acids and skin brightening, tightening, and lightening properties. (7)
Using this oatmeal face mask will give you an even skin tone and prevent photodamage.
How to use:
- Powder ¼ cup of rolled oats in a blender.
- Add 3 tbsp of organic yogurt, 2 tbsp of manuka honey, and 3 pieces of strawberries to the oatmeal powder and blend well.
- Add more oats if the mixture is too thin.
- Allow the paste to stand for 10–15 minutes, so that the oats soak up the other ingredients.
- Apply the paste to your cleansed face.
- Rinse off the mask after 10–20 minutes of application.
- Combine buttermilk or milk, 1 cup of oatmeal powder, a few drops of lemon juice, and 1 tsp of honey to form a smooth paste. Massage this paste on sun-tanned skin, and wash it off after 15 minutes of air-drying.
- Mix 2 tbsp of powdered oats, ¼ tsp of honey, and 3 drops of chamomile essential oil. Apply this paste to sunburnt skin, and wash it off after 10 minutes.
4. Oatmeal face mask to relieve dry and itchy skin
As mentioned above, oatmeal contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agents that can lower inflammation and soothe itchy skin. It is also moisturizing and can thus help in the treatment of dry skin.
You can use aloe vera with oatmeal for its potent hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe vera also contains antioxidant agents that help fight free radicals, thus preventing oxidative damage and improving skin health.
In addition, aloe vera contains gibberellin and glucomannan, (8) which stimulate increased collagen synthesis. This helps in making your skin more elastic, therefore preventing dry skin patches. Aloe vera also exhibits antiaging effects, which contribute to youthful-looking skin.
Using this oatmeal-aloe vera face mask can soothe dry and itchy skin, as well as increase its moisture content and therefore relieve skin dryness.
How to use:
- Mix 2 tbsp of oatmeal powder with 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel to form a paste.
- Apply this paste to your face and neck and massage it in gently.
- Allow the mask to dry for 15–20 minutes before washing.
- Use this remedy twice a week to relieve skin dryness.
Mix colloidal oatmeal with water to form a thick paste, and add in 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Apply the paste to the affected areas. Wash off the mask after 20 minutes using cold water. Pat your skin dry and apply a moisturizer. Repeat this remedy daily.
5. Oatmeal face mask to relieve skin inflammation
Oatmeal is an excellent remedy for inflamed skin as it aids in soothing the skin, bringing down inflammation, and even mildly exfoliating the skin.
Using cucumber with oatmeal adds to its skin-soothing properties. Similarly, yogurt contains lactic acid that helps in exfoliation.
Sage is used for its antiaging properties. It also helps remove dead skin cells and nourish the skin with vitamin A. (9)
How to use:
- Mix 2 tbsp of plain yogurt with 2 tbsp of oatmeal.
- Puree a cucumber and add 2 tbsp of the puree into the oatmeal mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp of chopped sage to the oatmeal and mix well.
- Apply the mask to your face, and rinse it off after 10–15 minutes with warm water.
- Combine coffee grounds and oatmeal to make a skin-soothing face mask.
- Mix 2 tbsp of dry cocoa powder with 3 tbsp of plain yogurt and add honey to it. Apply this mask to your face and wash it off after 15 minutes.
6. Oatmeal face mask to clear blackheads
Oatmeal can be highly efficient in clearing your skin of dirt, impurities, dead skin cells, and oil, which can accumulate in your skin pores, blocking them and leading to the formation of blackheads.
You can use bentonite clay with oatmeal to remove blackheads more efficiently. Bentonite clay pulls the toxins, impurities, chemicals, and heavy metals from the inner layers of the skin to the surface. Its electrical charge binds the clay to these particles, (10) therefore assisting in their easy removal.
A combination of oatmeal and bentonite clay, therefore, can help clear your skin of dirt and impurities, consequently preventing and treating oily skin, blackheads, and acne.
How to use:
- Mix 1 tbsp of bentonite clay powder, 3 tbsp of oatmeal powder, 2 tbsp of plain yogurt, and 2 tbsp of honey.
- Apply the mixture to your skin and let it air-dry.
- Wash your skin with lukewarm water after 15 minutes.
- Pat your skin dry and apply a light moisturizer.
- Repeat this remedy 2–3 times a week.
- Mix 2 tbsp of cooked oatmeal and the egg white of one egg. Apply a thin layer of this mixture to your face. Rinse it off with cold water once completely dry.
- Mix 3 tbsp of oatmeal with 3 tbsp of curd. Use this mask to massage your face for about 5 minutes. Wash off the mask after 15–20 minutes using cold water.
7. Oatmeal face mask to achieve glowing skin
Oatmeal is a natural skin exfoliant that removes dirt and impurities on the skin. It also provides hydration to your skin, making it healthy, and its anti-inflammatory properties curb inflammation.
Grapefruit is a great addition to this oatmeal face mask. This fruit is rich in the antioxidant beta carotene, which imparts a radiant glow to the skin, and lycopene, which reduces skin inflammation and redness. (11) The vitamin C in grapefruit neutralizes free radicals and thus exhibits antiaging properties.
Milk is another ingredient in this face mask. Similar to grapefruit, milk also contains natural acids that cleanse your skin pores and brighten the skin.
Using a grapefruit and oatmeal face mask evens out your skin tone and improves hydration, making your skin look smooth, supple, and radiant.
How to use:
- Mix ½ cup each of cooked oatmeal, grapefruit juice, and milk.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Apply the paste to your face.
- Wash it off with cold water after 15 minutes.
- You can use turmeric with oatmeal for its anti-inflammatory, (12) anti-oxidant, and sun-protectant properties. Simply mix ½ cup of oat powder with 1 tsp of turmeric powder, and add in 1–2 tbsp of jojoba oil. Dilute this mixture with water to form a paste. Apply the paste to your face and neck, and wash it off after 10–15 minutes with warm water.
- Mix 2 tbsp of oats, 1 tsp of almond oil, and mashed papaya. Add water to form a paste, and apply it to your face. Rinse it off with water after 15 minutes.
Oatmeal is a highly potent skin wellness agent that can fight off different skin issues and improve your skin health in general. Oatmeal has been used for a long time in the treatment of acne, skin dryness, inflammation, sun damage, itchiness, and eczema. It contains antioxidant properties that prevent premature skin aging.
In addition, oatmeal exfoliates and cleanses the skin, also making it radiant and soft. Including oatmeal in your skin care regimen as a face mask can greatly benefit your overall skin health.
- Was this article helpful?
- YES, THANKS!NOT REALLY