In this article:
Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa) originated in western South America. It has gained popularity globally because of its extraordinary nutritional value.
Quinoa is rising as a quality source of protein, minerals, and other beneficial compounds. It has been used in the development of various nutritionally rich novel food products.
The best way to reap the benefits of quinoa for hair is either by including it in your diet or by using it topically. In the diet, quinoa can be made into several delicious dishes that are world famous.
For topical use, spraying quinoa water on the hair is the way to go. You can spray your hair with quinoa water after shampooing it, or you can mix quinoa water in your shampoo and conditioner. Both ways work great!
The therapeutic richness of quinoa makes it great for promoting hair health. Read on to know more about the benefits of quinoa on your hair. (1)
Ways to Use Quinoa Water at Home for Hair Growth
You can use quinoa water at home to promote hair growth in the following ways.
Quinoa water alone
- Rinse 1 cup of quinoa in cold water to remove any impurities.
- Soak the rinsed quinoa in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes.
- Strain the quinoa and collect the water in a bowl.
- Apply the quinoa water to your hair, starting from the roots and working your way to the tips.
- Gently massage your scalp for 5–10 minutes to help improve blood circulation.
- Leave the quinoa water on your hair for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- Repeat this process 1–2 times a week for best results.
Quinoa water with rice water for hair growth and straightening
- Rinse quinoa and rice separately to remove any dirt or impurities.
- In a saucepan, add 1 cup of water and ½ cup of quinoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and let simmer for 15–20 minutes or until the quinoa is fully cooked.
- Strain the quinoa through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. The resulting liquid is your quinoa water.
- In a separate bowl, add 1 cup of water and ½ cup of rice. Let it soak for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Strain the rice through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. The resulting liquid is your rice water.
- Combine equal parts quinoa water and rice water in a spray bottle or bowl.
- Use the mixture as a hair rinse after shampooing and conditioning your hair. Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp, making sure to saturate your hair completely.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp for a few minutes. Leave the mixture on your hair for 5–10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with cool water and style your hair as usual.
Quinoa water for dandruff
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly in cold water to remove any dirt or impurities.
- Soak ½ cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- After soaking, strain the quinoa and reserve the water.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and rinse it thoroughly.
- Pour the quinoa water over your scalp, making sure to massage it gently with your fingertips.
- Leave the quinoa water on your scalp for 5–10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with water and gently towel dry.
Benefits of Quinoa Water on Hair Loss
Using quinoa water on your hair offers the following benefits.
1. Prevents dandruff
Saponins are a significant class of phytochemicals found in quinoa. These chemicals have been documented to demonstrate anti-inflammatory and antifungal activity.
Saponins show various physicochemical and biological activities that can be beneficial for your hair. These include:
Dandruff is usually linked to the colonization of the skin by a genus of fungi, Malassezia spp. Therefore, antifungal therapies are helpful in controlling this condition.
2. Prevents hair loss
Quinoa has a high concentration of antioxidants including α- and γ-tocopherol, which is why quinoa oil tends to have a long shelf life.
Also, quinoa, being rich in antioxidants, is good for preventing hair loss. Oxidative stress is a major reason for hair damage; the antioxidants in quinoa fight hair damage caused by free radicals.
Additionally, quinoa is also abundant in:
- Essential fatty acids
- Dietary fiber
This rich nutritional profile of quinoa makes it perfect for the promotion of healthy hair and improving its growth. (1)
3. Exhibits anti-anemic actions
The classic signs and symptoms of anemia include: (5)
- Hair loss
- Increased sleep
- Weight loss
Compounds with anti-anemic activity can, therefore, be helpful in preventing hair loss in people with anemia.
Studies suggest that quinoa can be used as an anti-anemic nutraceutical alternative because of its high content of protein, essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals such as iron. (5)
4. Provides abundant protein
Eating enough protein helps improve hair growth because your hair is composed mainly of protein. Therefore, ensuring that you consume sufficient protein via diet is critical to maintaining healthy hair.
Consuming lean protein for breakfast and lunch is advised to promote hair health, and quinoa is one of the best vegetarian sources of protein.
The protein content in quinoa grains is more than that in other cereals; thus, it can be utilized as an alternative to milk proteins. Quinoa has gained popularity as a rich protein source because of its high quality and balanced composition of amino acids when compared to other protein-rich cereals such as wheat, barley, and soybean. (6)
Is There a Quinoa Supplement for Hair Growth?
While quinoa is a nutritious food that contains protein, iron, and other vitamins and minerals that are important for hair health, there is no specific quinoa supplement marketed specifically for hair growth.
Quinoa Water or Rice Water: Which Is Better for Hair Health?
According to experts and professionals, both quinoa water and rice water can provide benefits for hair health, but the benefits may differ.
Some experts recommend using quinoa water as a hair rinse to help improve hair elasticity and reduce breakage, while some recommend using fermented rice water as a hair rinse or leave-in treatment to help strengthen and moisturize the hair.
In summary, both quinoa water and rice water are beneficial for hair health in different ways. Ultimately, the choice between quinoa water and rice water may come down to personal preference and hair type.
Why Is Quinoa Such a Famous Nutraceutical?
Quinoa is full of therapeutic benefits, making it perfect for use against various medicinal ailments. Plus, it is easily accessible, pretty inexpensive, and easily prepared and used.
Everyone wants to have healthy, shiny, and fabulous hair. One way to reach this hair goal is by providing the hair with proper nourishment, which is where quinoa comes into play. Quinoa can be incredibly useful for maintaining hair growth.
Quinoa protein is often known as a superfood; it promotes hair health by strengthening and nourishing the scalp and hair.