In this article:
Hair loss is a major problem affecting nearly one-third of the world’s population.
Your hair is an important aspect of your appearance, and losing it can significantly damage your self-confidence. There have been several studies proving the psychological side effects of hair loss. (1)(2)
Fortunately, many natural remedies can help increase hair growth and thickness while being easy on the pocket. Onion juice happens to be one of them.
Can Onion Juice Regrow Your Hair: What Does Research Say?
A study published in the Journal of Dermatology revealed that applying raw onion juice to hair significantly improves hair growth.
In the study, patients suffering from alopecia areata (a form of hair loss) were divided into two groups. Individuals in one group were given onion juice to apply twice a day on their hair for 8 weeks, and the ones in the second group were given a placebo (tap water).
After 4 weeks, 73% of the first group reported an increase in hair growth, and by 8 weeks, nearly 93% of them had visible hair growth. On the other hand, only 13% of the second group had any significant hair growth. (4)
Benefits of Onion for Hair Regrowth
Onions are rich in a number of nutrients and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, sulfur, and calcium. All of these can help increase the rate of hair growth on your scalp. (3)
So yes, we can say that onion juice helps in hair growth.
Sulfur, found abundantly in onions, is an important nutrient for your hair. It stimulates the hair follicles to grow new hair and promotes blood flow to the scalp. Moreover, sulfur helps build healthy and strong hair by increasing collagen and keratin levels.
Onions also contain potent antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that can help get rid of dandruff and scalp infections.
How to Use Onion Juice for Hair Regrowth
Now that the benefits of using onions on hair have been established, here are a few easy DIY recipes for onion-based hair oils and hair packs:
1. Onion juice with rosemary oil and curry leaves
- 1 onion
- A bunch of curry leaves
- ¼ cup rosemary oil
- Add one small chopped onion and curry leaves to a blender and blend them.
- Strain this paste and add rosemary oil to it.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair and let it rest for an hour.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo.
2. Onion juice and castor oil
- ¼ cup onion juice
- ½ cup castor oil
- Combine the onion juice and castor oil in a bowl and mix them well.
- Massage this solution all over your scalp for a few minutes.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo after half an hour.
3. Onion and honey
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp onion paste
- Mix the honey and onion paste well.
- Massage this hair pack all over your scalp and hair and let it rest for half an hour.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
4. Onion and coconut oil
- 1–2 onions
- 1 cup coconut oil
- Grind the onions to form a paste.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and fry the onion paste until it loses all of its moisture.
- Strain the oil and let it cool.
- Store the oil in a refrigerator.
- Apply this onion oil to your scalp and hair. Massage for a few minutes.
- Wash your hair after half an hour.
5. Add onion juice to your shampoo
If you do not have time to regularly use hair packs or oils, one convenient way to incorporate onions into your hair care routine is by adding some onion juice to your shampoo.
Side Effects and Precautions
Onion juice is a completely natural ingredient and, hence, side effects are rare. However, it does have a pungent odor that can be off-putting for some people.
In rare cases, onion juice can lead to allergic reactions such as irritation, redness, and inflammation. Thus, always perform a patch test before applying it to your scalp.
Make sure the juice does not drip onto your forehead and eyes as it may lead to forehead acne or eye irritation. (5)
Can I Apply Onion Juice on Oiled Hair or Do I Have to Wash Off the Oil First?
It is better to apply onion juice on a clean and dry scalp to help your hair follicles absorb the nutrients easily. Wash your hair if they are oily or greasy before applying onion juice to it.
Onions are rich in sulfur, antioxidants, and other nutrients. Hence, onion juice can be very beneficial for hair growth and volume. However, in rare cases, onion juice can irritate your scalp and lead to allergic reactions. Always perform a patch test before using any natural remedies on your hair and skin.
- Was this article helpful?
- YES, THANKS!NOT REALLY