In this article:
Hair is an essential part of one’s appearance. Yet, having healthy, luscious locks is still a distant dream for many.
Hair loss is one of the most common hair problems in the world, and millions of people suffer from thinning hair and excessive hair fall. Inadequate nutrition, stress, and genetics may all play a role in this.
Fortunately, many natural remedies can help you regrow your hair fast and even prevent hair fall. Onions are one of the most common hair loss solutions used by many cultures for ages.
Does Ginger Promote Hair Growth?
No, ginger doesn’t promote hair growth, and there is no scientific study either supporting this claim.
In fact, studies have shown that 6-gingerol, the main active component in ginger, may stop or slow down hair growth and is consequently being tested for hair removal products. (1)(2) For this reason, dermatologists don’t advise using ginger on the scalp.
However, ginger does contain many antioxidant properties that can help increase zinc levels in the scalp to indirectly stimulate hair growth. (3) However, the negatives of this remedy outweigh its positives, so it’s best to steer clear of it.
Do Onions Help in Hair Growth?
Yes, onions are a well-known natural remedy for hair growth and thickness. Onions contain several antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties that can greatly improve scalp health. They also contain high amounts of sulfur, which helps boost hair growth by stimulating the hair follicles.
Including onion juice in your hair care regimen can yield the following benefits:
- Increases hair thickness
- Accelerates hair growth
- Enhances blood flow to the hair follicles (4)
- Soothes scalp inflammation
- Controls dandruff
- Fights premature graying of hair
Do Ginger and Onion Juice Have Side Effects When Applied on Hair?
Ginger may cause a few side effects, which include:
- Skin irritation and burning, especially when applied directly to the skin
- Dry, flaky skin
- Itching and redness
- Mouth irritation, stomach upset, burping, diarrhea, heart problems, etc., (5) when consumed excessively
Onion juice is generally safe for application on the scalp, but it contains heavy amounts of sulfur, which can be a little caustic when used in excessive amounts or too frequently.
Some people have reported experiencing the following side effects after using onion juice on the scalp:
- The pungent sulfur fumes can make the eyes sting or watery. (6)
- The harsh sulfur content can strip the moisture from the scalp and leave it dry, itchy, and irritated. (7)
- Constantly scratching the itchy scalp can weaken the hair roots and lead to hair fall.
- Concentrated amounts of sulfur can also trigger scalp inflammation, which damages the hair roots and hampers hair follicle activity, both of which contribute to hair fall.
Ways to Use Onion Juice
You can easily prepare hair remedies using onion juice at home by following these recipes.
1. Onion juice with honey
- ¼ cup red onion juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
How to use:
- Pour the honey and red onion juice into a bowl and mix them well.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Put on a shower cap to avoid dripping and wait for at least 5–10 minutes. You can also leave this mask in your hair overnight.
- Rinse it off using plain or lukewarm water and mild shampoo.
- Use this mask 1–2 times per week for maximum hair growth.
2. Onion juice with coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon onion juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
How to use:
- Mix coconut oil and onion juice in a bowl.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and gently massage it for a few minutes.
- Let it sit for 20–25 minutes so that it gets properly absorbed.
- Wash your head using normal water and mild shampoo.
Causes of Hair Loss
Here are some of the common reasons behind hair loss:
- Genes (hereditary hair loss)
- Hormonal imbalance
- Conditions such as androgenetic alopecia, alopecia areata, and scarring alopecia
- Scalp infection
- Wrong hair care, tight hairstyle, pulling your hair
- Fad diets
- Deficiency of certain nutrients, namely, biotin, iron, protein, and zinc
- Thyroid disease
- Side effect of certain medications
Hair Products Containing Ginger
Products containing ginger extract include ginger supplements, ginger hair masks, ginger shampoo, ginger hair oil, cold-pressed ginger soap, and ginger serums, among others.
Why Are Companies Using Ginger in Their Hair Products?
Companies utilize extremely little amounts of ginger extract in their hair products, and other growth-promoting ingredients (such as biotin and zinc) are mixed in.
Thus, product labels usually do not indicate any benefit or risk of using ginger-infused hair products.
Studies have found ginger to adversely impact hair growth, which has led dermatologists to discourage the use of this ingredient on the scalp.
Onions, on the other hand, contain sulfur and antioxidants that can help increase hair thickness, strength, and length.
- Was this article helpful?
- YES, THANKS!NOT REALLY