Fenugreek is a medicinal herb commonly grown in Asian countries, and fenugreek seeds have been used in traditional medicine for centuries.
Fenugreek provides a number of benefits for the hair. It promotes hair growth, reduces hair loss, cleanses the scalp, and exhibits strong antioxidant properties that help protect the hair from damage. (1)
Fenugreek seeds are a wonderful ingredient you can add to any hair mask. They have potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help fight hair loss, dandruff, scalp infections, and hair damage.
Here is a (2) list of the potential benefits of using fenugreek seeds on the hair:
1. Fights dandruff
Fenugreek seeds contain nicotinic acid and other antimicrobial substances that fight dandruff and scalp infections. Regularly applying fenugreek herb paste to the scalp can significantly reduce dandruff accumulation. (3)(4)
2. Revives damaged hair and induces hair growth
The rich antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of fenugreek seeds can help reduce hair fall and reverse hair damage. These seeds are rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium, iron, protein, and folic acid, all of which are required for hair growth.
3. May reduce hair loss and shedding
Fenugreek seeds contain anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the scalp and may help reduce hair fall associated with inflammation and damage to hair follicles. Thus, this herb is especially useful in people suffering from androgenetic alopecia. (2)
4. Supports scalp health
Lecithin, found in fenugreek seeds, stimulates the process of cell repair and reverses damage to the hair follicles.
5. Strengthens the hair and adds shine
6. Prevents premature graying of hair
How to Use Fenugreek Seeds on Hair
Here are a few ways to use fenugreek seeds to achieve healthy and lustrous hair:
Fenugreek seeds can be taken as oral supplements in tablet or powder form. It can also be added to your diet by adding it to the foods you eat.
According to many studies, taking 300 mg of fenugreek extract every day is beneficial for hair loss. However, always consult a doctor before taking any fenugreek supplements as they can interfere with some medications. (8)
b. Topical application
Topical fenugreek extract has been shown to be an effective cure for hair loss. It also helps fight dandruff, scalp infections, and inflammation.
You can also apply fenugreek powder or freshly ground fenugreek seeds to your scalp and hair.
1. Fenugreek hair oil for thinning hair
To increase hair growth, apply fenugreek hair oil to your scalp and hair. You can easily and quickly make fenugreek oil at home by following these recipes:
- Heat ½ cup of coconut oil on low flame for 5–7 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to it.
- Cool the mixture, strain the oil, and discard the seeds.
- Massage this oil all over your scalp and hair and leave it in for a couple of hours.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo. (9)
- Add 4 tbsp of fenugreek seeds to a jar.
- Pour 1 cup of coconut or olive oil into the jar. Seal it and let the infusion sit for a month. You can shake the jar once a day to mix the seeds.
- Strain the oil through a muslin cloth/cheesecloth into a fresh jar.
- Massage this oil onto your scalp and hair an hour before shampooing.
2. Fenugreek hair-conditioning mask
This fenugreek and yogurt mask can deep condition your hair and scalp.
How to use:
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of water and grind them the next morning.
- Add the egg yolk of one egg and 1 tablespoon of yogurt to form a paste.
- Apply this hair mask to your scalp and hair.
- Wrap a towel around your head or wear a shower cap for half an hour.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo and water.
3. Fenugreek and yogurt mask
This fenugreek and yogurt hair mask helps strengthen and moisturize your hair to give you beautiful, healthy locks.
How to use:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of fenugreek powder with 5 tablespoons of yogurt in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of argan oil to the mixture.
- Cover the bowl and let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Apply this hair mask to your scalp and hair, and leave it in for half an hour.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and warm water.
4. Fenugreek hair rinse
This fenugreek hair rinse helps increase hair growth and strength.
How to use:
- Soak 3 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of warm water overnight.
- The next morning, strain the water and add 10 drops of almond oil to it.
- After washing your hair, rinse your scalp with this fenugreek solution and massage it thoroughly for a few minutes.
- Rinse your hair with warm water afterward.
Scientific Evidence Supporting Fenugreek Use on Hair
For hair growth:
Fenugreek seeds contain flavonoids and saponins; both these substances help increase hair growth and strength. Fenugreek extract also helps increase blood flow to the hair follicles and induce hair growth. (8) The effects of fenugreek seeds in inducing hair growth have been shown in various studies.
A clinical trial conducted on people suffering from early-stage hair loss demonstrated the efficiency of fenugreek seed extract in increasing hair growth in both men and women. Another study demonstrated the beneficial effects of 300 mg of fenugreek extract in increasing hair growth and strength. (10)(11)
Fenugreek seeds contain antimicrobial properties that fight the dandruff-causing fungus on the scalp. A recent study revealed the positive effects of fenugreek application on dandruff-ridden scalp. (4)(12)
Nutritional Value of Fenugreek Seeds
100 g of fenugreek seeds contain:
- 8 g of water
- 20 g of protein
- 24 g of fiber
- 176 mg of calcium
- 33 mg of iron
- 1 mg of copper
- 3 mg of vitamin C
Side Effects of Fenugreek Seeds
Overconsumption of fenugreek seeds may cause the following side effects:
- Nausea and vomiting (13)
- Dizziness and headaches
- Low blood sugar
- Allergic reactions
- Fenugreek should not be taken during pregnancy. (14)
- Fenugreek supplements should not be given to children
Does drinking fenugreek water help in growing hair?
Yes. Fenugreek contains iron, protein, lecithin, and other vital nutrients required for hair growth. Drinking fenugreek water can help improve your hair growth and even thickness.
Can fenugreek paste be applied to oiled hair?
Yes. You can apply fenugreek paste along with hair oil.
Can fenugreek be used on hair every day?
No. Fenugreek should ideally be applied topically once or twice a week for maximum benefit.
Fenugreek seeds can be extremely beneficial for people suffering from hair loss. They help reduce hair loss, induce hair growth, and improve scalp health.
You can take fenugreek orally or apply it to your scalp. Always remember to perform a patch test before applying something directly to your scalp.