In this article:
Eggs are full of nutrients, making them a popular and healthy food source. They nourish the body from within, but their benefits are not limited to their oral consumption alone.
Eggs are rich in proteins, (1) minerals, and biotin that are essential for the body. These nutrients not only improve your general health but can also help nourish your skin and hair when used topically, giving them a healthier appearance.
The lutein in eggs can improve skin hydration and elasticity, (2) while the protein in them helps repair the skin and make it firm. Applying eggs to your hair can make them shiny, strong, and soft and can boost hair growth.
Beauty Benefits of Eggs
There is limited evidence to the topical uses of eggs, but they are a popular ingredient in hair and skin care for the following benefits:
Eggs contain several vitamins and compounds that are beneficial for the skin. Vitamin D and antioxidants can prevent wrinkle formation. (3) Vitamin E curbs the action of free radicals, thus preventing cellular damage. Vitamin A can help in skin repair and scar healing.
Eggs also contain collagen that aids in improving skin elasticity and firmness, and the protein in egg whites helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Therefore, you can use egg whites to make your skin look youthful and firm.
How to use:
- Separate the egg white of one egg.
- Add 2 tbsp of milk and a small amount of the juice of a grated carrot to the egg white and mix well.
- Apply this mixture to your face.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.
2. Skin tightening and shrinking of pores
Egg whites are astringent in nature and can help shrink large pores and control oil production from the sebaceous glands.
Adding honey to an egg white mask adds moisturization to your skin. Honey also has antibacterial and skin-healing properties that are beneficial to the skin. (4)
How to use:
- Add 1 tbsp of raw honey to 1 tsp of egg white and mix in a few drops of lemon juice.
- Apply the mask to your face.
- Wash it off after 15 minutes and pat your face dry.
- Repeat this remedy twice a week.
Note: Discontinue the use of lemon if it causes a stinging sensation, especially if you have sensitive skin.
3. Treatment for acne and discoloration
Egg whites are beneficial in controlling oil production, which is useful in the control of acne, cysts, and pimples. Eggs also form a protective layer over your skin, helping prevent blisters and sunburn.
In addition, eggs contain enzymes that improve skin health, fade suntan, reduce dark spots, prevent pimples, and even out skin tone.
Turmeric can be added to egg whites for added skin-lightening effects to fade dark spots and reduce acne. Orange juice can also be used for its vitamin C, which helps tone the skin.
How to use:
- Whisk together the egg white of one egg and 1 tsp of orange juice until frothy.
- Add ½ tsp of turmeric powder to the mixture and mix well.
- Apply the mask to your face and massage it in circular motions.
- Scrub off the dried mask from your face after about 15 minutes.
- Apply a moisturizer to seal the hydration and nutrients in your skin.
4. Skin moisturization
Dry skin and reduced elasticity can benefit from the protein, cholesterol, and nutrients present in eggs. These compounds can deeply moisturize the skin.
Yogurt can be added to eggs for added proteins and vitamins to further improve your skin health.
How to use:
- Whisk the egg white of one egg until frothy.
- Add 2 tbsp of fresh yogurt and 1 tbsp of rose water to the egg and mix well.
- Apply the paste to your face, and rinse it off after 15–20 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times a week.
5. Repair of damaged hair
Aside from skin care, eggs are also highly useful in strengthening and repairing hair. Egg yolks contain proteins, fatty acids, and vitamins A, D, and E, which boost hair growth and prevent hair fall.
Using eggs with olive oil can soften and cleanse your hair. Egg masks made with olive oil can be highly beneficial for managing hair loss, hair dryness, and hair roughness.
How to use:
- Mix 1–2 tbsp of olive oil with 2 eggs, and apply the mixture to your hair. Wash it off after 30–45 minutes. Use this mask 2 times a week.
- Mix 2 eggs with 2 tbsp of milk and 1 tbsp honey. Apply the mixture to your hair, and wash it off after 30 minutes.
6. Promotion of hair growth and prevention of hair loss
As mentioned above, eggs contain nutrients that boost hair growth, which include sulfur, iron, zinc, phosphorus, selenium, (6) omega-3 fatty acids, iron, protein, zeaxanthin, and biotin.
Applying eggs to your hair can nourish the scalp, in turn strengthening your hair roots and preventing hair fall.
Using amla with eggs can help boost blood circulation to the scalp, therefore increasing nutrient supply, which helps strengthen the hair follicles. Amla also contains antioxidants that prevent hair damage.
Avocados are a great addition to eggs for hair treatment. They are rich in vitamins A, E, D, and B6, antioxidants, minerals, and amino acids, which nourish the scalp, boost hair growth, and reduce hair fall.
How to use:
- Mash half an avocado and add one egg to it. Mix the ingredients well, and apply the mixture to your hair. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Mix ½ cup of amla powder with 2 eggs, and apply the mixture to your hair thoroughly. Wash the mixture off after 1 hour.
- Mix one egg with 2 tbsp of fenugreek powder and 1 tbsp of oil. Apply the mixture to your hair, and wash it off after 45 minutes.
Note: You can make fenugreek paste by blending fenugreek seeds soaked overnight in water.
7. Removal of facial hair
Egg whites are mildly adhesive in nature and can therefore stick to facial hair and aid in its removal. Egg whites are commonly used to remove unwanted hair from the forehead, cheeks, and upper lips.
Mixing cornstarch and sugar with egg whites results in a sticky paste that forms a thin film on the skin, which makes hair removal fairly easy.
How to use:
- Mix one egg with 1 tbsp of sugar and ½ tbsp of cornstarch to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to your face and allow it to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Peel off the mask from your face once dry.
- Repeat this remedy 2–3 times a week.
Note: Avoid this remedy if your skin is prone to acne as the vitamin A content of eggs may lead to acne breakouts.
8. Treatment for puffy eyes
The nutrient-rich composition of eggs helps nourish the skin around the eyes. The collagen in eggs helps reduce under-eye wrinkles, and the proteins help improve skin elasticity.
In addition, the fatty acids in the egg yolk boost the health of the skin cell membrane and thus improve skin moisture. Using eggs with other ingredients can help reduce dark circles, wrinkles, and eye bags as well.
How to use:
- Mix one egg with 2 tsp of coffee powder and whisk until frothy. Apply the mixture around your eyes, and wash it off after 20 minutes.
- Mix the egg whites of two eggs with 2 tsp of aloe vera gel or cucumber gel, 1 tsp of milk powder, and 5 drops of vitamin E oil. Whisk the mixture to dissolve the milk powder. Dab the mixture on your under-eye skin using a cotton ball. Rinse the area using cold water after 15 minutes. You can refrigerate the leftover mixture for up to 48 hours.
Keep the following things in mind when using eggs for skin and hair care:
- Always conduct a patch test before applying egg whites or other ingredients on your skin to check for an allergic or sensitivity reaction. Make sure that eggs do not cause acne breakouts on your skin before using them. You can consult your dermatologist for the same.
- Discontinue the use of egg-based remedies if you experience any skin sensitivity.
- Avoid talking or smiling when you have an egg mask on as the dry mixture may stretch the skin and cause wrinkles.
- Refrain from using hot water to rinse an egg mask as it can cook the egg, making it difficult to remove. Moreover, the smell of cooked eggs can linger for some time.
Eggs are full of health-supporting nutrients that can nourish your body from the inside out. They have been used for a long time for skin and hair care.
The water-binding properties of eggs help lock in moisture in the skin, making it soft and supple. Moreover, egg remedies can tighten the skin and give it an even tone. Eggs are also used in the treatment of different skin problems, including acne and skin aging.
Similarly, applying eggs to your hair can help strengthen, nourish, and soften it, boosting hair growth and reducing hair fall. There are a wide range of egg-based home remedies that you can use to help improve your skin and hair health.