In this article:
The skin needs proper care and maintenance to keep it fresh and healthy. While most skincare regimens involve multiple steps, moisturizing at night is a common and important component.
Rinsing your face in the warm water, followed by the application of sunscreen and moisturizer in the morning, is helpful. Additionally, you need to take extra steps to care for your skin at night.
After a long day of exposure to chemicals, irritants, sunlight, and other factors that can damage your skin, it is recommended to wash your face with a cleanser to remove all the dirt and makeup. Toners, serums, and exfoliants can follow, depending on your choice.
However, it is vital to use a moisturizer at the end of your skincare routine before sleeping. You may apply the same sunscreen you use in the morning, but a night cream with skin repair properties and richer moisturization will have added benefits.
Skin cells have a high metabolic activity at night, repairing themselves while you sleep. Therefore, using night creams with beneficial ingredients can aid the natural skin repair process that occurs during bedtime. (1)
Additionally, face, lip, and eye night creams moisturize the skin and provide anti-aging effects at the same time. These actions help reduce the appearance of both coarse and fine wrinkles and lines. (2)
However, not all night creams are helpful. While some creams contain active ingredients beneficial to the skin, other creams are just basic moisturizers and generally expensive.
Hence, it is essential to choose products with correct formulations, including active ingredients such as:
- Vitamin C
- Retinols and retinoids
As commercially available creams may contain harmful chemicals, making a night cream at home using natural ingredients, such as apples, maybe the right way to go.
Know the Ingredients
You can use these ingredients to make a nourishing and revitalizing night cream at home.
Apples have high water content (about 85%), and 13% of an apple is made up of carbohydrates. The high water and fiber content of apples aids weight loss, (4) help improve heart health, (5) controls diabetes, (6) alleviates gut problems, (7) and lowers cholesterol levels. (8)
Apples are also rich in nutrients, including calcium, plant compounds, phosphorus, and potassium, each contributing various health benefits. (3)
Apples can also help maintain skin health as they have high amounts of vitamins A, B, and C. Apples have been anecdotally used as skincare agents for long, although such use is not supported by sufficient research.
2. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains antioxidants and fats that help delay aging and provide the skin with deep moisturization.
The phenolic contents of olive oil have antioxidant properties and have a higher potency than vitamin E. Additionally, olive oil exhibit anti-inflammatory properties when consumed regularly.
Several cultures report the use of olive oil as a time-honored skin and hair care product as well. (9)
3. Rose Water
Rose water can help improve skin tone and reduce pigmentation, among other benefits. However, the skin benefits of rose water are not widely researched, and as a result, no conclusions can be drawn. (10)
Disclaimer: Your facial skin is extremely thin and delicate, so it can get easily irritated by any new topical ingredient. To limit adverse skin reactions such as burns and rashes, first, perform a patch test of the night cream on the underside of your arm before use. If irritation occurs, avoid its use.
Needless to say, people who are allergic to any of the ingredients of the night cream should not use it. People with sensitive skin are advised to take special precautions before trying out any topical remedy.
Homemade Apple Night Cream Recipe
Here is a nourishing and rejuvenating night cream that you can make at home to pamper your skin after a stressful day.
- 1 apple
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup rose water
How to Make
- Cut an apple into two halves and remove the seeds.
- Chop the apple into small chunks and transfer into a blender.
- Add olive oil to the blender.
- Blend the ingredients for 5-7 minutes for a smooth and thick puree.
- Transfer the mixture to a double boiler and warm it for a few minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the double boiler and allow it to cool.
- Add the rose water and mix.
- Transfer the cream into a clean container.
- Store the cream in the refrigerator. It is good to use for up to a week.
How to Use
- Use a cleanser to clean your neck and face.
- Pat your skin dry.
- Apply the homemade apple night cream using your finger with gentle upward strokes in a circular motion.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Use warm water to rinse your face in the morning.
Note: You may use the cream on your hands and legs as well. This homemade cream can generally be safely used with all skin types, including sensitive skin.
- For a double boiler setup, fill a pan halfway with water and put it to boil. Take the apple mixture on a small bowl and place it on the boiling water. Allow it to simmer for a few minutes and turn the heat off.
- You may add a teaspoon of honey or vitamin E oil to the cream for added benefits. These ingredients can help hydrate the skin, fade blemishes, and stimulate skin cell renewal.
- Substitute red apple with a green apple. The green variety promotes an even skin tone, owing to its higher malic acid content.
A night cream is an indispensable part of any good skincare routine. While many night cream products are available commercially, they are often laden with chemicals. Substituting them with homemade creams made out of natural products is not only beneficial to the skin but also a cost-effective and chemical-free option.